The Cupid that is iconic Candies in Oak Lawn, a landmark on Chicago’s Southern Side, will shut after 64 wonderful years on Sunday, Sept. 27.
By Lorraine Swanson , Patch Staff
OAK LAWN, IL вЂ” Say it ain’t therefore! Cupid sweets will shut after 64 years on 95th Street in Oak Lawn. One of many last regarding the iconic old-line candy shops regarding the Southern Side, Cupid Candies, 4709 95th St., will shut its doors on Sunday.
Cupid Candies had been created in 1936 because of the late Paul Stefanos. Their cousin, Leo, would carry on to invent the Dove bar. The very first asian brides shop had been at 79th Street and Ashland Avenue in the Southern Side, where just fudge, toffee and popcorn had been offered. By 1940, Paul and their spouse, Pauline, launched another shop at 3207 W. 63rd St., along side a little manufacturing facility, based on the business’s internet site.
The household proceeded to cultivate Cupid Candies, transferring 1943 to 3143 W. 63rd St. in Chicago.
The organization expanded once more in 1956 by having a plant that is new 7637 S. Western Ave., where in fact the candy factory nevertheless operates today.
The family-owned and operated Cupid Candies manufactured quality chocolates, nuts, sweets and frozen dessert from the factory on Western Avenue in Gresham. The founder that is late son, John Stefanos, could be the business president.
Going to the Oak Lawn store on Thursday afternoon, the racks remained well stocked with the hand-dipped, classic candy lines, such as for instance Turks вЂ” sharp pecans and soft caramel groups dipped in milk chocolate вЂ” so called since the title Turtles had been trademarked, and cream and butter fudge made daily. It had been scarcely the “everything must get” liquidation scavenging we have grown familiar with.
Each with its own distinctive swirl on the top under glass were rows of chocolate creams of all varieties, chewy centers, nut clusters and confections. A worker was opening boxes of big, red strawberries inside the ice cream parlor.
Since 1956, the Oak Lawn Cupid Candies вЂ” having its conventional frozen dessert parlor and soda water water water fountain вЂ” had been in which you stopped by to select a box up of Turks to bring to your North Side family members on Christmas time, or enjoyed a sundae and a malted after a film during the Coral Theatre.
The Orland Park shop, at 9420 W. 143rd St., will stay available, because will the Cupid sweets factory on Western Avenue into the Southern Side Gresham community.
Stephanie Hart, the dog owner and discovered of Brown glucose Bakery in Chicago, bought out of the historic candy that is 84-year-old on Western Avenue in June. Her Brown glucose bakery is just a destination that is popular black colored food tradition within the town.
Hearing that John Stefanos had been to locate a customer, Hart bought the Cupid sweets factory for $500,000, utilizing a grant she received through the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic chance, BlackBusiness com reported.
Hart also acquired the legal rights to Cupid Candies’ brand and items. Plans are to mix the 2 brands together.
In accordance with BlackBusiness com, the 20-plus workers regarding the candy business will remain on to make all of the ice cream and chocolate services and products of Cupid sweets and cakes of Brown glucose Bakery.
But not since cool as relaxing all over soft drink water water fountain on a hot summer time afternoon, fans will be in a position to purchase a common Cupid Candies online. The Cupid sweets tradition will stay using their original key household recipes, designed to use just the best, premium ingredients.
If you wish to have sundae for lunch or pick up that xmas field of Turks, Cupid Candies should be open from noon to 8 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 25 to Sept. 27.
MODIFICATION: the organization reached away to Patch to allow us realize that the Orland Park store at 9420 W. 143rd St. will stay available. Nice thing about it.